Tuesday, August 21, 2007

To instruct the soul.

Ps 103:1-2
Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

Luke 12:16-21 tells of a certain rich man whose fields had been blessed greatly, and as he surveyed his fields of plenty, he responded to those blessings, by declaring that it was time to reward himself. He said, “I’m going to tear down everything that has already been built, and I’m going to build again." He continued, "After all the buildings are built to my specifications, than I will turn and speak to my soul, and instruct it by saying, Soul, take thy ease." Apparently expecting no response from God, imagine the shock, when God proclaimed him a fool, and declared that that night his soul would be required of him. As this man looked at his blessings and the things that God had given him, his response to those blessings and the instructing of his soul defined the rest of his life.

Another scripture gives a little different view. Psalms 103:1-2 may have been written by David, or maybe by some of the ancient Jews that had been in captivity, but most scholars agree that the circumstances surrounding this passage were not as plentiful as the rich man in Luke. But as the writer surveyed his surroundings, he also found the need to instruct his soul. But instead of telling his soul to take his ease, the author said, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.”

How I respond to my environment does matter to God, and how my soul is instructed may define how the rest of my life is lived. No matter the circumstances surrounding me, whither prosperous or poor, I want to instruct my soul to bless the Lord, and to not forget anything that the Lord has done for me. When viewing my successes or looking at my failures, the name of the Lord is to be praised, for without him, there is no success, and because of Him, failure isn’t final.

No comments: